Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The S1 Lifer Helmet is a real Brainsaver !

4Closer (Sacred City Derby Girls) holding S1 Lifer Helmet
that saved her head. 


"I didn't think much about the importance of a helmet because I rarely had hit my head - especially back of the helmet....I have only really had ONE true concussion but it was from a face/front fall - hit chin on back wheel of skater in front of me when was tripped.  However, at the BIG O we were sponsored to wear the S1 Lifer Helmet. (we wearing non-certified helmets from another brand before the tournament).   I was able to get over my fear of wearing anything new in a bout that was not 'pre-worn' in practice to break in.  Surprisingly - I had no issue with fit due to the pads that are interchangeable for sizing.  Got the helmet the way I needed/wanted - went to skate not thinking anything about it....2 out of 3 games played at BIG O I hit my head - on the back - THIS NEVER HAPPENS!. First game - my feet were swept out by opposing player and I fell back - hitting my head so hard the jammer panty flew off - I had no idea it fell off - I knew I hit my head but had no problem getting up to finish the jam - I had no aftershock from the fall at all....The fall was decently hard as my back was very sore where I had landed on the opposing players skate (there is a pic of it - from donalee)....

The 2nd game I had an opposing player use her forearm to pick me up under my arm and in my chest throwing me back and the ONLY THING that hit was the back of my head (it happened at the top of the apex - no footage was found - camera did not get view of fall/refs were in way to view) - I had the wind knocked out me and I knew the hit was hard - the ref had to get in my face to ask if I was ok - I had my eyes squeezed hard shut just waiting for the rush of pain to my head...I waited on the ground until I could tell if my head was ok - I was fine...just a bit rattled from getting wind knocked out of me - I was able to finish the jam, but came off the track KNOWING that the S-ONE helmet saved my brain on that fall - the after effect of the fall was more emotionally knowing what COULD have happened if I had not had this new helmet on....I did not have a concussion (MEDIC tested me 3 times over half hour period) - I was fine. 

I just want to say THANK YOU to S-ONE for providing SACRED with the S1 Lifer Helmets prior to BIG O.  Often timing is involved with LUCK and I really feel LUCKY to have received a helmet for the BIG O weekend.  This fall was so unique as I could feel the spread of the impact on the back of the helmet - instead of the normal THUD of the hit making a pinpoint pain on the back of my head - I could actually FEEL the spread of the impact all over the surface of the helmet....I was shocked and THANKFUL I did not have a concussion. 

So - thank you - thank you!"  - 4closer
 4Closer goes down hard and actually hits her head on a Roller Skate. (this slam happened before the slam she describes above). It is important to see that all types of falls can happen in Roller Derby. You can hit your head in a variety of different ways including on flat and angled surfaces.  Photo: D.E.sign

The S1 Lifer Helmet is a better and safer helmet for Roller Derby than non-certified helmets. The S1 Lifer Helmet is constructed with EPS Fusion Foam that distributes 
impact energy away from the head. The S1 Lifer Helmet is ASTM Certified to
protect your head from multiple impacts and CPSC certified to protect your head
from single high impacts. The S1 Lifer Helmet is the safest helmet you can wear for Roller Derby.    

S-One Helmet Co.
www.s1helmets.com


No comments:

Post a Comment